Thursday, January 17, 2008

It's All About the Boobs

As a new-again mom who is in the throws of around-the-clock breastfeeding, I find myself obsessing about my boobs. In fact, as I was in the shower this morning attempting to keep most of the shampoo suds from running onto my boobs and possibly tainting the baby's next taste, I had to chuckle:

It wasn't too long ago that on any given Thursday morning I'd be stressing about something completely different: whether a website for a major snack bar brand would launch on time; whether the client in California was going to fire us; whether my department would have to write-off a couple thousand dollars because of poor project management.

And now, three weeks into my maternity leave, I'm worried about soap on my boobs. Earlier in the morning -- you know during that 2 am feeding when hazy thoughts rule -- I found myself actually wondering, 'is enough of my areola is his mouth?' And, 'is it the right or left boob that we start on this time?'

My husband is anxiously awaiting the 6-week post partum date when we can start having sex again. I have to say, it's going to be a challenge trying to feel sexy -- especially when my boobs are more like a fucking kitchen appliance than anything sexual. It'll be such a turn-on when we're in the middle of getting it on and the boobs start squirting breast milk across the bed. And while my mind should be on sex and my husband, I'm sure I'll be thinking, 'damn it, that's valuable milk I'm losing.'

No comments: