Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Strawberry Cream Cake

We had a shock of summer - three days of 90 degree weather - but this morning's rain brought back chilly, rainy 55 degree weather. So while I dig out my warm sweater and snuggle under a blanket to read today's Washington Post Food section, I'm still dreaming about warm, sunny weather.



And nothing feels more like summer to me than strawberry shortcake. If strawberry shortcake is a cotton sundress, this strawberry cream cake is a Ralph Lauren linen dress -- a little more grown up and refined.

Modified from a Cook's Illustrated recipe, this uses a chiffon cake as the base. Heavy whipping cream is enhanced and thickened with cream cheese, allowing it to hold up the cake layers and strawberry filling without sliding out. The strawberry filling is a mixture of fresh halved strawberries - these form a rim around the perimeter of each layer, the middle of which is slathered with smaller pieces of macerated strawberries. For extra flavor, the juice of the macerated berries can be reduced and flavored with a liqueur. I liked the addition of Grand Marnier, but I'm sure Kirsch or even Creme de Cassis would work well too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read this post. Thank author for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

I inclination not concur on it. I regard as warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the whole story.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such themes. I love to read articles like this. Just add some pics :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.