Sunday, June 29, 2008

Happy Half Year

I had many thoughts earlier today that ended with, 'yeah, that'll be good to blog about.' Sadly though, I can't remember too many of those.

Maybe it was the tortuous 3-hour car ride with screaming baby, chatty 3-yr-old and highly anxious husband, or the ill-planned Sunday night trip to Whole Foods to join the throng every annoying self-centered urbanite joined by - once again - screaming baby who it turns out is teething, or the scramble that was quickly cook dinner but try to entice 3-yr-old to poopy on the potty, or the well-deserved and must-needed glasses of Chardonnay. Regardless, the brain is fried. But I will leave you with this:

The baby is now Six Months Old. Yes, a big milestone. A half year. Six months. Wow. Can't believe we've made it this far. Everyone always says -- and even I've even taken to repeating it -- that the first six months is the hardest. Make it past that, and it's all downhill from there, they say.

Wonderful. But the 6-month mark has been a slap in the face to me. A bit of a wake-up call. Basically this gave me an okay-you-haven't-just-had-a-baby reminder. Yep. No more excuses. The baby weight needs to come off. I'd hate to be one of those women who complains about their baby weight when in fact her baby is. Seven. Years. Old.

So much for 'finding time' to work out. I now realize there is no such thing. I need to MAKE time. It may mean a few hours less sleep. It may mean a few hours less work - and a few more to-dos not done. It may mean a few hours less hanging out with the husband or a few hours less sitting on the porch drinking wine. But, it's gotta happen.

I'm tired of "empire waist" being my saving grace. At some point, I need to get back to being me and shed the post-baby weight. I'm giving myself another 3 months. That will be a full 9 months post-partum. I figure it took me 9 months to get here, so I at least should give myself a full 9 months to get out of it.

I feel like half the battle is realizing that the weight isn't just going to fall off by itself. It's going to take some work. And it's going to take some tough decisions to actually MAKE time. But I think I'm ready.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Have you ever tried yoga? It might be great for you right now - physical benefits as well as mental as you try to balance so much! I love Tranquil Space and Flow, both in Dupont...there's also a Tranquil Space Bethesda. You can also download yoga podcasts...

Anonymous said...

The second one is much harder, first off you are older and well it is the second time your body has been stretched...took me over a year to get back down to my original weight but my body is not quite the same. When Cole starts crawling and walking the weight will begin to shed xoxo kcf

rkc said...

Thanks, Amanda. I have tried yoga - always found it hard to make it to the classes on time. The irony of stressing out and road-raging on my way to yoga isn't lost on me. But I do love the idea of the podcasts. Will have to try that.

Thanks, kcf. I'm no spring chicken anymore. Someone once told me having a second child is like wearing a pair of panty hose twice - all stretched out and never going to get back to the original state. :)