Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Good Eatin' in St. Louis


Well folks. St. Louis was not good for losing the baby weight. Toasted ravioli. Provel cheese. Ted Drewes frozen custard. Gooey butter cake. Pork steaks with Maull's barbecue sauce. And one of the best dining experiences in recent memory at Niche, owned by chef Gerard Craft who was just named one of 2008's Best New Chefs by Food & Wine.

As soon as the July issue of Food & Wine came out and I saw the St. Louis-shout-out to Niche, I made a reservation for the Saturday we'd be there. Craft's featured recipe in the magazine, Smoky Pork Pappardelle, sounded amazing. At the restaurant in real life, it was Smoky Lamb Papperdelle, but goddamn was it good. I will be making this recipe...as soon as the new exercise and healthy eating regimen starts working.

(pasta pic courtesy of Food & Wine)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to have my mom order an Elicia's or an Imo's pizza when I landed, so it would be there when I got home.

Sarah would advance request gratuitous quantities of water, due to the enormous quantity of salt in the provel cheese.

Anonymous said...

Lived in St. Louis years ago... still miss toasted ravioli and IMO's pizza with provel cheese